E-tickets? .... check! Passports? .... check! Visas? .... what Visas?
I'm sure the ticket agent at O'Hare wasn't too impressed by the drop-jawed, stunned expression we were all giving her. The story is that not one of the 11 of us showed up with a visa, but of course it's not our fault. :) What we have found outis that it is "standard" procedure for Qantas to process visas for their travelers, it just didn't get done for our lucky group. The ticket agent at O'Hare (Paulette) was really so sweet and kind, and painstakingly did all the visa work on-line, and managed to get us on our way. We offered to bring her along to Australia, but I think she was afraid of traveling with our fine family. By the time that was all completed, we already knew that our flight out of Chicago was delayed and we wouldn't make our connection in LA, so Paulette again helped us out and booked us on a later flight out of LA, and Derald's agent did the same for them! When we made our way to the gate in LA, we discovered that each of our families were booked on different flights, which I'm sure wasn't Paulette's fault! But we were scheduled to be leaving about 15 minutes apart, so it all worked out and we met up in line at immigration in the Sydney Airport.
So here we are in Australia. As I'm sitting here writing this post, I am looking out the window of our motel room at this view ....
It is breathtaking ... especially if you're here. Sorry. We ate at a little outdoor cafe' on the far side of the water close to the Sydney Opera House. The breeze was a little chilly, but today it was a beautiful clear day. The "towel boy" at the pool told me that they had had 20 days of rainy weather, and today was the first clear sunny day. I wanted to tell him it was probably us bringing our wonderful Northern Indiana weather with us, but I'm sure he wouldn't have seen the humor in that, so instead I told him I'd love another Diet Coke!
And now we are all settling into our cozy beds for a good night of sleep.
It was a looong journey of 14 hours from LA to Sydney, 7,500 miles and major time changes. We left our house at 12:45pm on Friday, and when we landed in Sydney I looked at my watch and it was 6:30pm on Saturday, I hadn't changed my watch yet. When I got into the airport I changed my watch to Sydney time and turned the hands all the way forward to 10:30am Sunday! So are you confused yet? I am! Just figure 14 hours ahead of you, and you'll know exactly what we're doing. :) Try explaining to a 9 year old that we simply didn't have a Saturday evening. No movies, no ballgames, it just didn't exist in our lives. Right now it is 10:15pm Sunday night here which makes it 6:15am Sunday morning at home. Yes, we've been up for a very long time! Some of us slept on the plane and some of us napped fitfully. Mitch claims he slept for 10 hours, and I don't doubt it. I figure I got about 2-3 hours in. Yawn!
I need to crash into my King Size bed because morning will come quickly, but I'll leave you with one more picture of the cousins posing in front of the Sydney Opera House. Mitch must've been tired of walking! :)
From Down Under ... g'day!
4 comments:
Visa? What is that?
Glad you all made it fine.
Carlos
Oh Cindy....no one is posting on their blogs and I almost didn't check your blog because I figured you wouldn't either because of travel. But how exciting to so the awesome view of Sidney! And the pool boy, ahhhh how fun to be at the POOL!!! Looks like so much fun!!!!! You are making me jealous....but just you watch out the end of this week I'll be in Florida. SO HA HA! Gotta ya there. Now you will be jealous.
Seriously looks like a beautiful place and I hope you take lots of pictures and post them all. Get some sleep and hope you have a great week.
Hey, I am glad you guys made it OK. And next time ask the towel boy to add a lime to the Diet Coke. It sounds so much more exotic! LOL
Kim, Why didn't I think of the lime?
Heather, Have fun in Florida ... but keep posting.
Carlos, Have a great time with your wonderful family.
Post a Comment