Thursday, December 27, 2007

Trekking on ...

Well, here I am again at a loss for time. We just keep moving from thing to thing, but I wanted to let everyone know a few of the things we've been up to. There won't be pics again because I am alone up here on the 15th floor, and I can't find any camera cords. Good excuse right? :)

Our days in Sydney were wonderful. It is a great city! Our highlights were a harbor cruise on our own boat (the kids preferred to call it a yacht) and Ashley getting stuck in an elevator for 10 minutes with about 6 strangers. On Christmas Day Abbi and I took a cab to the cinema to see Alvin & and the Chipmunks, while the others "walked the bridge". This is no simple walk, but training and a clean breathalyzer test gave them a chance to walk across the top girders! www.bridgeclimb.com Quite amazing, they told me. I wanted to go but the age limit is 10, so I said I would hang out with Abbi - wouldn't want to leave her unattended in the city, however if we gave her a credit card she would've probably been OK. We don't have any pics of this event, because cameras or any other loose items (necklaces, sunglasses, coins) weren't allowed. For Christmas Dinner we enjoyed a wonderful private room with lots of laughs and memories, complete with a visit from Santa, who had candy for all the kids! We heard some stories from the kids from when they were much younger, of things that us parents didn't know about.

On to Melbourne .... our first event was a personal tour of Jayco. We were all very impressed with their new facilities, and the cool product they push out the doors! They employ about 700 people, and 90% of recreational vehicles in Australia is a Jayco. They have certainly captured the attention of consumers! After a short break, we made our way to the 87th story of the tallest "residential" building in the world, which is about 4 blocks from our hotel. Once up there, some of our group bought tickets for "The Edge". Basically you step into a complete glass cube (room), then the room slides out (yes, just like a slide-out on an RV except larger) over the street below. The glass is opaque, until "poof" it becomes clear and you can see straight down. Abbi did this cool event, and it was so funny to see her want to keep her feet on the 2" wide metal strips on the floor, instead of standing on the glass. www.eurekaskydeck.com.au

Today, Thursday, we trekked out into the interesting countryside to Gerry's horse farm. We spotted several dead kangaroo along the road - a lot like deer around our place, running out into the road and that's all she wrote! The farm is absolutely lovely. Kevin told me when he's older he's going to find a wife, come to Australia, and buy the farm from Gerry. Abbi was pleased to ride a horse for about an hour, the boys rammed around on 4-wheelers, and Alli and Tilynn competed in a hot game of tennis!

Tomorrow we fly north to Brisbane to visit the famed Australia Zoo. It feels sad to say good-by so soon to our wonderful hosts here in Melbourne!

Well, I've gotta' go to the pool and rescue Austin from his pesty little cousin. Maybe pics later tonight ...

Cindy

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoa! What a great way to spend Christmas, traveling the world. Glad I visited this blog today and got to feel the sunshine--even if only for minutes :-) Enjoy your travels.

Cindy said...

Thanks for visiting Anne. I've stopped by your blog, and can't wait to spend more time there, when we get home. I too love Il Divo, and the download of them singing "Oh Holy Night", was exactly what I needed right now ... in the midst of the rush in an airport, it was my own "holy moment".