
Several weeks ago I traveled back in time ... back to where my life was pretty much an empty book, waiting for me to fill the pages. For the past year I had been anticipating a return to Hesston College, the wonderful Mennonite College where I spent two years in the 80's. It was time for my 25 year class reunion, and the college itself was also celebrating it's Centennial on the same weekend.
OK, so this isn't really me, and it's not even what the people looked like when I went there. But just imagine for a moment, 100 years ago people traveled far from home to this little blip on the map!Now, back to my journey ...
My 15 year old son, Kevin, is planning on studying Aviation when he completes High School, and for the past couple of years has been a frequent visitor to Hesston College's Aviation website. Since I was heading that way, I decided it would be a great opportunity to take him with me on the 13 hour road trip to the great state of Kansas!
My first stop was in Kansas City where I spent a wonderful evening with one of my long-lost college friends! When Kevin & I arrived in Hesston our first day was filled with "college visit" type stuff. A current aviation student took us to the airport where the Aviation Program is headquartered. While Kevin took a flight with one of the instructors I filled the director's ears with a lot of nonsense about why I really don't care to go up in small planes, blah blah blah. After Kevin landed, the top-notch student that we were hanging out with took off for his first solo flight! That was pretty cool to be a part of his exciting day! Kevin then spent the evening, overnight, and all day Saturday with his host student, David, that we know from our neighborhood. David took Kevin to Drubers at midnight for donuts and Newell's Truck Stop the next day. He was in good hands.
On Friday evening I took in a college volleyball game, and reminisced about the wonderful polyester knit long sleeved, itchy & hot uniforms that we wore when I played "back in the day"! I also recalled the time I got my ears pierced for the first time and was late getting back for volleyball practice. I had to run extra after practice for that little lack of judgment.
On Saturday, I looked up my old roomie that still lives in Hesston. We hadn't seen or even communicated in at least 20 years! Our lives have taken different paths and we just haven't made the effort to stay in touch. She is a Hesston native so while in college I spent a lot of time at her home with her Mom and sisters. So of course, her Mom had to pop in while we were catching up on days gone by. Needless to say, lots of laughter and memories! Saturday evening she joined me for an Alumni Banquet on campus, where we bumped into my roommate from my Freshman year, and who played volleyball with us also.
Here I am with my "roomie" and her Mom ... my college Mom.On Sunday I took Kevin to the Wichita airport to travel home so he wouldn't miss another day of school. It was his first experience of traveling alone, so the whole way there I quizzed him about reading his itinerary, finding his flight number, his flight time, how he would find his gate in Chicago for his connecting flight to South Bend, on and on. I had told him that the first thing he should do when he gets to Chicago is to find his next gate and then he could get something to eat if he wanted. So, when I said goodbye to him I asked him one last time "what's the first thing you should do when you get to Chicago" and he said "call you"! :) I love this kid!
On Sunday afternoon I drove to Salina to spend time with another good friend from my days at HC! One more friendship renewed! In the evening my Mom (who was also in town, more on her later) and I took my cousin Marion B., who is a Bible Professor at HC, to Pizza Hut. His daughter who is close to my age happened to visiting also, so the two of us got to hear a lot of stories about our grandparents. By this time I thought I had been maxed out in stories of the past, but there was still more to come on Monday.
Monday morning I decided to surprise one more friend who is a professor at the college and who I hadn't seen the entire weekend. I snuck into her 7:40am class with a few young souls and sat at a table with them. My friend glanced my way several times, and I thought either she doesn't recognize me or she is stunned by my appearance. She finally comprehended what was going on, and claimed that I just fit in and she didn't notice me right away. It was pretty cool to sit there and listen to her lecture. Did I mention that I took a bag of Munchies and Diet Coke to class with me? Just wanted to add some entertainment to her Wellness & Nutrition class!
The final event from my packed full, fun-filled trip was Chapel at the College. My Mom had been asked to "share her story" with the college community. I know "her story", I lived it with her, but it was quite a bit different to sit in a familiar setting and hear her put her feelings into words. I was amazed that as I sat there I felt the warmth of tears course down my cheeks, and around me I was aware of others wiping tears. She is an amazing woman, who has experienced more heartache and pain than I ever want to feel! Her faith in God sustains her through even the darkest of valleys, and she sets the bar high for me. Perhaps in a future post I will share our story with the blog world. This chapel experience has brought the memories rushing back, and perhaps it's time to put some words to my feelings, so that my children can know that they come from a family of survivors!
After enjoying a quick lunch at the college, Mom & I hit the road! Somewhere on the Kansas highway we saw this ...

It might be the new invention that saves Elkhart County and the RV business! :)
Now, 25 years after my time in Kansas, my pages are filling fast! What does my book say about me and the person I have become? What will I fill my pages with in the future?
5 comments:
Thank you. I love you.
Teresa
Great memories! I'm so happy you had a great time! It sounded like a very complete weekend and just what you needed! :) and I'm also glad you stayed for the chapel because your Mom needed the strength you gave to her by being there-you are also a survivor along with your Mom!
Love you!
Oh, by the way! Florida is hot & sunny! Just thought you might want to know!?
Wish you were here! We shopped for 7 hrs. yesterday in Ellenton!!!!!!! It was so much fun!
Cooper was a trooper!
Your stories always paint great pictures! I am so glad you had a great weekend!
Cindy, I think that first picture is pretty much how I looked when I went to Hesston! Was it really that long ago? :)
Post a Comment