Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Tweety Still Sings

We've had sickness in our home ... not just the sniffles but honest-to-goodness sickness! I've been fighting a sinus infection for two weeks, the man of the house has been hacking around, Kevin has been dragging his rear for at least two weeks, and last week Abbi hit the jackpot by having a major round of strep throat. I really don't think I've ever seen any of my kids so sick. She cried because she was hungry, she cried because she couldn't eat anything, she cried because her whole body hurt. She really didn't eat anything for 6 days. In the midst of it all she also was blessed with a strep rash, also known as scarlet fever. This was a very itchy, red-hot rash, that then led to peeling (like a sunburn), and caused her tongue to become raw (yup, completely smooth, no little taste buds). Her fingertips are peeling back from her fingernails this week. Poor thing! She missed 5 days of school and now we're playing catch-up.


So all of this to introduce you to my pictures, and my Post Title .... my sister-in-law asked me to post pictures of all the kids who AREN'T sick. Tah Dah (see next picture)

Here's our parakeet Tweety.
Who still sings a cheerful song each day - thank goodness!



I'd like to add a picture of Mitch too, since he hasn't been sick, but he's never home so I wasn't able to digitally capture the 18 year old. HMMMM ... so maybe that's the secret to staying healthy ... just always be away! And of course, Alli's not sick either since she's away at college - thank goodness. But I couldn't resist going into my picture archives and finding a special picture of her to post. She's going to love this one!!! It's a lovely prom dress she tried on her junior year of high school. Actually this one was just for fun and she really was stunning in the dress that she wore that year. Can you believe they actually make prom dresses like this?? Wait ... I have a song playing in my head ... can't you hear it? "Somewhere over the rainbow..."


Here's the "sicky" ... Puffs Plus and wastebasket close at hand. The wastebasket was for dirty tissues and the occasional throwing up. I guess the strep also caused nausea for her. And she really isn't chubby, the strep just caused her glands in her neck to be so huge that her entire face seemed to be swollen.

The ONLY benefit of having a sick kid are these beautiful spring flowers that Abbi received from Grandma B. They were, and still are, a wonderful breath of fresh air, in an otherwise germ-filled dreary home last week!


See ... I knew it - Spring is right around the corner! We just have to get through the grunge ...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness Tweety is still alive & has a cheerful note for everyone!
Abbi looks so sick! Poor thing! Amber was always my child w/strep in spite of tonsils being out!
How is Mitchell's face that he scraped the tree in Colorado with?
Nice prom dress!! I'll bet she'd go on a date w/Kyle in that!? How are those 2 doing anyway? Is she getting ready for SST? or should I ask - how are you doing w/her getting ready for that next phase in her life? These kids coming & going in parts of the world that we would've never dared to venture when we were young! Good for them! Good to hear from your post again!

Jillian said...

So sorry to hear your family got hit with the Michiana Funk as I call it. Ugh. Joel and I both had it, twice!! Lots of Airborne and sleep is key. Say hello to everyone from Joel and I. Take care!! Warm weather is on it's way!!!

Alli said...

Thanks for that beautiful picture, mom! Gross!
haha.

Unknown said...

Finally you post again. Now I understand why....all the sickness has you busy. Abbi does look pitiful. Poor thing. The prom dress is just a little too colorful. :O) Liked the picture though. And funny thing we had a bird just like that growing up named tweety. But he/she was blue.

Hope you all feel better soon. Do you have plans for spring break?

Kim said...

Your blog looks great Cindy! Glad you are all doing better now. Alli looks so cute in her rainbow dress, I bet she loves you for that.

Cindy said...

Heather ... Florida here we come. Right now I'm looking out the window at the snow flying and I'm thinking "how many days until we leave????"

To all ... any idea why my "comment" icon isn't showing up at the bottom of this post? I've gone through my settings several times and can't seem to figure it out.

Ashley said...

So first of all... why didn't Alli buy that dress. It's so hideous that it would have been worth it! I would have worn it! And second, Mike is from New Jersey. So guess if you want to see me in the future, you'll have to make a few trips out to NJ. :)