She loves to travel. She loves to experience new cultures. She loves making new relationships. She loves to make her Mom nervous! Last summer my oldest daughter spent three months in Nicaragua and absolutely loved the experience. She fell in love with her families, as I'm sure they fell in love with her. I confess that I was relieved when she finally returned home.

Now I'm preparing to send her overseas again, this time to Europe for the month of May.
For the first 2 1/2 weeks she will be participating in a class with the college (for credit = pay tuition). During this time she will be in Spain and then ferrying from Gibraltar to Morroco, for more cultural experiences. She will be staying with families in both countries.

On May 18 the class will be over and she will be traveling to more far-flung corners of Europe! Her and another student, who has been a friend of hers through high school and college will trek on and experience all there is to see and do! They have reservations in Hostels in each city. And we have the password to her bank account so that we can "contribute" as we see fit. :) Eventually they will join up with other GC students who had been studying in London, and also desire to give their Mothers' gray hair.
The countries/cities and a few of the cool things they will see and do ...

Barcelona, Spain ... La Sagrada Familia
Rome, Italy ... Colliseum, Vatican City, Trevi Fountain
Prague, Czech Republic ... Castles, St. Nicholas Church, Wenceslas Square
Paris, France ... Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, The French Open (tennis)
London, England ... Westminster Abbey, Wimbeldon
Belfast, Ireland and Glasgow, Scotland
Here is where I need to say that I am excited for her. I continue to be in awe of the opportunities that college-age students (whether in school or not) have to experience the world. I hope that I am an encourager of these experiences and don't allow my Mommy Instinct to hold back my kids. When I was in college I spent a month traveling in Europe and the Middle East ... Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Greece, Rome ... walking where Jesus walked. I really can't remember calling home, it just wasn't that easy, and there were no computers for quick e-mails. But I know that I sent postcards - WooHoo! I can imagine that my Mom was on pins and needles, but I never felt held back. After college a friend and I had serious conversation about working at Disney World in Florida. Our dreams were smashed when we found out we had to appear in person to even fill out an application! Why would we want to spend that time and money and not even be guaranteed a job? I think this was their way of "weeding" real fast! My Dad thought I had lost my mind, and was quick to point out that I would probably end up washing dishes in some restaraunt in Frontier Land! So instead of working at my dream job in Fantasy Land, I ended up at Pizza Hut (the home of the 5-minute guarantee)! Hey, I had to do something while I waited for my Prince Charming to finish college!
So yes, I had opportunities. I am thankful for everyone of them ... even the dreams that didn't materialize! That is what I pray for Alli, that her life will be molded by the experiences she has as a young adult.
God Speed, Alli! Stay safe, be smart, and stay away from the pigs (swine flu)!
Love You Forever!
4 comments:
Sounds like a fabulous and incredibly crazy time!!! Hope she has fun!
Man...what a great experience she is going to have.
I can't imagine ever getting to that stage of letting the kids go...you said it well. I hope I get to that mind set someday.
I'm so excited for Alli......kids in today's world don't have a clue how distant we were from all the technology they have access to! Some of our kids did quite a bit of exploring in other countries during college and it was such a great experience....it seems like quite a long time ago, but at the time it didn't feel like it would ever end! God speed!
Just for the record....I love Prague!!!!! one of my favorite places!
I. am. so. jealous.
Don't worry - our mom survived, you can do it! :)
Post a Comment