Saturday, April 18, 2009

Mole-Be-Gone

I'm not talking about real live yard destroying moles! I'm talking about those ugly possible cancer producing moles that appear on one's body.
For two years we, along with a Doctor at the Cancer Center have been "tracking" a mole on Abbi's face at her hairline. It was a big mole, but not a big deal. Something to eventually remove. The Doctor was hoping to wait until Abbi would be old enough to remove it with just a local anesthetic. Well, that wasn't going to happen. In February at the annual check, the mole had made some significant changes and it was time to get it off! Yesterday was the scheduled removal at a 12:00 noon time slot. Nothing to eat after midnight and nothing to drink after 9:00am. We arrived at the hospital for check-in at 11:15, with Abbi already complaining about her rumbling tummy.
She covered herself up to forget about how hungry she was!
Surgery was delayed and she was finally wheeled to the OR at 2:15. By 2:45 we were with her in recovery and arrived home with her at 3:45. It was quick and successful, but coming out of anesthesia is never fun!
But Abbi was a trooper and before we left for
home she chowed down a 6" sub that we had taken with us to the hospital.

The incision is quite long and follows her hairline. The doctor removed it in a football shaped incision so that he could neatly stitch it together. The stitches are inside and will disolve on their own. I think he did a wonderful job, (not to mention he's a family friend) and as Abbi grows up, it will be completely unnoticeable.
















So The Hawkins' Family continues to support our local medical community ....

Here are some pictures of more fun things that are happening here on our little farm on Amish Highway 35!


Abbi has a new horse that she is bonding with ... her name is Lucky (but it might change). Her much-loved 26 year old horse, Ginger went to the great Horse Stable in the sky this winter. She was a great horse for Abbi to start with, and we miss her.





Abbi and her friend Katie shopped for and found Lion's Head rabbits that will be shown at the fair this summer.




And here's Mitch and Abbi looking for the rabbit that escaped behind the entertainment center.





Puppy Love! Our dog Uno had 5 puppies early this spring. Uno is an Amish mutt and the hispanic neighbor's dog is the guilty dad. So we have bi-lingual puppies that wear suspenders and sombreros! Alli and a few of her college friends came to give some lovin' to the puppies and also to eat a free meal!



All lined up for a ride, then it's nap time!

Meanwhile .... two hours have passed since I wrote this post, and a lot has happened! A cousin stopped by on his bike to chat, and we heard Uno barking like crazy behind the barn. Upon inspection, she had trapped a skunk! Dave went inside to fetch one of Mitch's guns - no skunks on this property! I'm not sure what kind of gun it was, but it was a big one and mighty powerful! Dave lay on the ground to set the "sight" on the skunk that was hunkered down underneath our rusty old bobcat trailer. When he felt he had a good shot, KABOOM! We all cheered because we saw the skunk fall amidst the flying dust! Dave just kept laying there on the ground, when I finally said "are you OK?" My cousin walked around to the front of him (because you know when someone's shooting, you should all stand behind the shooter!) and said "oh my, you have blood running down your face"! I ran to the house to get some rags to stop the bleeding. The kick of the gun had shoved the sight into his forehead, and he's got two pretty cool gashes to show off. I asked Dave if he wanted to go to Julie's to have her put some butterflies on the cuts, and he said "no, she'll tell me I need stitches", so I went to Julie's to get some butterflies (she's a nurse and has everything!). Now if it would've been me, I would've gotten stitches ... I don't need any more funny lines on my face than I already have! He's all set now with butterflies and "siec schmere", our family's Amish FIX EVERYTHING salve. Can't wait to hear what he tells people in church tomorrow. By the way, I didn't even ask him if I could take pictures for my blog, because I'm pretty sure I know what his answer would've been!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good grief Dave...pose for a picture...we want to see your battle scar.

Amazing how much you people are in and out with the Dr. and hospitals. You poor souls. I wish you a summer with no Dr. visits. :)

Great blog Cindy...you are an entertaining writter.

Jen said...

Oh my! I so totally need pictures of Dave! I am glad Abbi is doing well- she was cracking me up on Friday!

Your Oldest Son said...

Dear Mother,

I'm glad i got updated on the family happenings again. I concerned that dad used a gun and a bullet that he shouldn't have. Tell him not to shoot any guns cause it could have exploded. im being serious i'm gonna call him pretty soon considering the fact that im almost done with my research paper and he will be getting up for work soon.

about the hospital. . . wow what a surprise. Hawkins and hospitable in the same sentence hmmmm never hear that.

Oh and that rabbit that was stuck under the TV stand. wow he is lucky to be alive he's a little turd.

sincerely your loving son,

Mitchell

Anonymous said...

I love how the kids read blogs to keep updates on the family!!! funny!
You definitely don't lack for entertainment at your house, do you?
I should blog again, but don't feel like it! Actually I can't find my cord (umbilical) that transfers my pictures from my camera to the computer! Ever since we're home from Palm Springs I can't seem to find it!