Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Time to catch my breath ...

My head is spinning with all the happenings here at our home! My creative juices are flowing, but I will need more time to get it all "Blogged Out"! So here's a filler for the time being - borrowed from Facebook. My apologies if you've already read all about me.

25 Random Things About Me

1. I was born on my Mom’s & Dad’s anniversary.
2. My Dad couldn’t remember what they named me when he went to work the next morning, and he told someone “I know it’s not Cinderella”. My sister named me. Maybe that’s why Dad couldn’t remember. My real name is Cynthia Jean.
3. I was born with a cleft palate that was repaired when I was 1.
4. I wear size 5 ½ shoes and buy all my tennis shoes in the young boys section … there my size is 4 and about $10.00 cheaper!
5. I broke my arm when I was 2 years old by falling down 1 step.
6. I made two road trips back & forth to Hesston College by myself. Before cell phones! YIKES!
7. My husband & I met while cruising Goshen. I had car trouble and he jumped me (with jumper cables). :) And we exchanged phone numbers.
8. One week went by without a phone call, so I called him and asked him out. The rest is history!
9. I had braces for 3 ½ years.
10. I am number 5 of 6 kids.
11. My younger brother and my Dad were killed in a small plane crash when I was 20 and Wendall was 16. Easter Sunday 1985. It’s strange how after 24 years my life time-line is still measured by “before the crash” and “after the crash”.
12. I went back to college while Alli and Mitch were very young. When Kevin was born in July, I still had one college class left, so in the fall I took a Monday evening class.
13. I graduated from Goshen College in1995 with a BS in Physical Education.
14. I am also a proud graduate of Hesston College. “Hesston, it’s the t-shirt I look best in …”. Just a song that Bif and Jen made up while we were students.
15. I have coached volleyball at the middle school and JV level for a total of 14 seasons (I think) since 1985.
16. I have had repair surgery on my heel, knee, elbow, wrist, and shoulder. Each one, except the heel, related in some way to an amazing ski accident in 2004.
17. My two oldest each broke their front teeth 5 days apart. Alli in a freak Frisbee incident and Mitch passed out and hit his face on a canoe on Interterm at Bethany. When he returned home 6 days later, I took him to the dentist, and the dentist reopened the cut he had in his lip from biting through it and found the piece of tooth still lodged in there.
18. I have never attended a public school. In fact every school (1st – college) has been Mennonite. I started 1st grade when I was 5.
19. I grew up in a Conservative church, and wore dresses and my hair up with a covering until I was 16. My friend has repeatedly asked for pictures, and I can’t seem to find any. :)
20. I had my ears pierced when I was at Hesston College and when I came home at Christmas my Mom didn’t look at me for 1 week! When I got my ears pierced, it took longer than I thought, and I was late to volleyball practice. I was with my teammate so we had to run extra after practice. I would never do that to my players! Ear piercing is very important!
21. My parents both spent their younger years in the Amish church. I still have a few wonderful Amish relatives!
22. While I enjoy my longer hair style, my soul is screaming “short and sassy”!
23. No vacation is complete without sand and sun.
24. I love Globetrekker on PBS, Sunday nights late (11:00ish). That’s why I’m a mess Monday mornings!
25. Only one reality show for me – Amazing Race. My Dad always said I was born with wings on my feet!

6 comments:

Kim said...

I thought for a minute there that you actually calculated your exact age when your cleft palate was repaired (1.4). Check it out... :)

Cindy said...

Thanks Kim! :) Yeah, I was 1.4! I have more blog questions for you, expert that you are! How do I get my blog title to the bottom of the family picture instead of at the top? And how do I get my post date to be the date that I actually post it instead of when I start writing it? (example: Mitch's bday post ... I wrote it on the 21 or 22, but wanted it to be posted on the 23, which is why I stayed up until midnight on the 22nd to post it.)

Anonymous said...

good blog Cindy! I love the background pictures....and just to make it right I think Dave still uses his 'jumper cable' to jump start your motor! I love reading your blog! There are a few more comments, but I'll just pass for now!

Unknown said...

Man, So many things I didn't know about you. I found the comment about Dave jumping you the funniest. The saddest...You dad and brother being killed. I didn't know it was on Easter Sunday and you were a teen right? Most interesting...had no idea of your real name or the fact you had cleft palate. And man your dad forgot your name? That is funny. I remember as a child my dad was picking up an RX for me and couldn't remember my birthday, He looked at me and asked me and I was shocked he didn't know... I thought that was bad.

Crazy Daze said...

Cindy, Cindy, Cindy
You seriously make me giggle! I walked away from Village Inn just thinking how interesting it would be to spend an entire day with you! Never a dull moment...might need some clean "big girl undies" though cause I'm sure i would pee my pants from laughing at your silly humor! And truly so funny about your dad forgetting your name! No worries though - when our first child was born (named Nicole Grace) Brian phoned his dad and told him that we had a baby girl and named her Nicole Smith. Sadly enough, he couldn't remember her middle name and said all he could think of was Anna Nicole Smith! Lovely, eh? Chalk that one up to the nervousness of becoming a father! I guess from now on I'm gonna have to check your blog more regularily for my daily dose of humor! U R making me smile!

The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...

Hey Cindy...I LOVE reading these things!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Yes, at the bottom of my stack of books in that picture is my blog book. I love it. I was really, really, REALLY happy with the company I had do it (Blurb). If you have ANY quesitons please don't hesitate to call!!!

Jamie