Friday, March 13, 2009

Talking Old Fashioned

When Alli was home from college for Christmas break, she began the process of labeling all of our old 8mm home videos. They were all just thrown in a box, some with dates and events wrote on the labels, some without. She viewed them all, and wrote the year and some details on each one. Then my job began ... I hunted for a VCR (remember those?) that would have a digital counter on it. I searched Goodwill, The Depot, WalMart, Target. They are hard to find! At the retail stores, all that was available was a combo with the DVD, for a hefty price. Not exactly what I wanted or needed. I needed cheap and short-term! I finally scrounged one up out of my Mom's basement. I love when she's in Florida, cuz I can just hunt high and low for things. However, now with the new homesteaders camping out at her house, I need to call ahead. They seemingly think that we live in a dangerous neighborhood and lock everything up tight!

Now back to my task. I am beginning to go through each video and edit by writing down what I want to transfer to DVD and what I don't want transferred. I'm doing that by writing the range of numbers on the digital counter. See, that's why I needed the counter! After I'm finished with this process I will take everything to a man in Middlebury who does the transfer to DVD. I can hardly wait for it to be done! It will probably be many months until we can easily pop in a DVD and laugh at the antics and old-fashioned-ness of this chaos I call "Family"! I've only got 70 to go through. :) While I'm at it, I'm also going to have him transfer our wedding video. Woo Hoo! Bring back the Love!

So, a couple evenings ago I was viewing a few of these gems, and Abbi and Kevin happened to join me for a few laughs. Following is some of our conversation: (video events are in purple)

Alli & Mitch opening Christmas Presents ... I say "it's a Walkman".
Abbi: "Mom, you're talking Old Fashioned"

Indy 500 footage from 1990.
Kevin: "Only rednecks with money go to the Indy 500"
Abbi: "What's with the perm Mom?"
Kevin: "Holy Crap Barb! Nice perm!" (last name will remain a secret, you know who you are)

Somehow we ended up with a video of Wilbur & Sarah and kids opening Christmas gifts.
Abbi: "Nice hair Sarah"
Kevin: "Holy Mullet!"
Kevin: "I want a record player too!" (Kim and Jason each recieved a lovely record player)
Kevin: Wilbur, nice mustache! He's rockin' that mustache!"


There's a glimpse of what happened that evening! I think in the future I'll do only private viewings. The un-invited commentary makes me feel old!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is talking old fashioned what Dave did at the Hawkins Christmas party? :-) Let's get together- soon!

Anonymous said...

Your comment line is in white and I couldn't find it....anyway, isn't it funny how we used to look and it was okay at the time but now it looks so ?????? yucky! Be careful what you say, kids, your little ones will say the same thing about you!

Unknown said...

Man! What a great idea to get done. I'll have to tell Donovan to get right on that.

The Blissfully Happy Housewife said...

OH my...home movies are the absolute BEST!!!! Sometimes they make us laugh, sometimes they make us cry...but the are ALWAYS fun to watch! I'd love to know the guy in Middlebury you are taking your videos to. We can swap info (blog book vs. video switcher)!!!!! Ha!!!

Jamie