Friday, March 20, 2009

Here a Cluck, There a Cluck, Everywhere a Cluck Cluck

Today was the day that Abbi worked hard for! She gave a report on a breed of chicken called Australorp, and of course no report is complete without a live presentation. We began the morning with a visit to the orthodontist to repair a loose wire. Then we stopped at Aunt Julie's house, which is the foster home for Abbi's chickens, and picked up Licorice (the chicken's name, not candy). Abbi's chickens were removed from their original home by the boss on CR 35, due to lack of attention to chores ... important things like water, food, and gathering eggs. They may be returned to their original home now that spring is here, we'll see. Obviously the boss will have the final say.

Off to school we headed with Licorice in tow. After signing in at the office, to a chorus of oohs and aahs, down the hall we went.

We made a stop at the restroom so Abbi could wash a little "chicken residue" off of her sweatshirt, that she acquired sometime during the trip. Here is Licorice waiting patiently in her carrier - not like she had much choice.
Abbi did an amazing job on her report! I even learned a couple things that I didn't know. I was sooo proud of her. She has had a great year learning and experiencing many things with her wonderful teacher, Mr. Hamilton. I am so thankful for each teacher that she has had!
My question for today is ... "whatever happened to taking puppies and kittens to school"? Now that I could handle! Today really wasn't too bad. When Abbi was done, I simply carried that chicken in it's cool carrier back down the hall, to my car, and back to Aunt Julie's where I dumped it back into it's pen.
Our farm is exploding with animals ... our dog Uno now has 5 puppies, Abbi has two bunnies, 3 cats, tomorrow we will get a new horse to replace her geriatric horse that died this winter, and soon we will be taking possession of the baby chicks that we'll raise for the fair. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine taking care of such a menagerie of animals, or even chasing a pet bunny around the horse pasture like I did on Wednesday. I am learning to relax and just enjoy whatever Abbi brings into our lives!




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You rock, Abbi! I love animals too.....but I didn't have the 4-H experience you are having and I think it is so good to teach all the kids responsibility! and also teaching the Mommies to love the beautiful creatures God made for our big wonderful earth!
I hope you & Kim appreciate all the pets your kids bring into your lives!

Anonymous said...

this is abbi and my mom messed up i now have three rabbits.

Cindy said...

Abbi's kind of right ... when I posted we only had two rabbits, but on Saturday we went to a bunny sale and came home with another one. Hooray! So I didn't really mess up. :)

Kim said...

Oh Cindy, you have such a cute little farmette over yonder!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you have a hobby farm so we don't have to. We can just come down to the farm to learn about all kinds of things that go on with horses and vet visits. Wasn't that a day to remember this past summer? You remember what I'm talking about right??

Poor Abbi...how did she handle that loss?