This one's risky, I know that. I could feel all of you cringe when you read the title! Let me just say here and now, that this is not an attempt to make a political statement and as you continue on you will realize just how very unlikely it would be for me to do that.
I am the first to admit that I am fairly non-political. Am I proud of this fact? Probably not, but it's just who I am. There have been many factors that contributed to this, among which is that I nearly failed Government in high school and folks, if you don't understand it, it's hard to be engaged. Another reason is my heritage. I grew up in a church that held firmly to the belief of separation of church and state, and therefore voting was not allowed. I have no memory of my parents "talking politics", but I do remember hearing my Dad on several occasions say "if I don't vote, I have no right to complain". And to his credit, I never heard a negative word out of his mouth concerning politicians - local, state, or national.
So what does someone who is non-political think of yesterday's events? I'll try to keep this brief with a touch of humor.
I thought Michelle's dress & coat was classy and I love her smile! However, I think she should demand her (our) money back for her ball gown ... it was beautiful but oh my, the problems it gave her in her brief 3 second dances with her husband. I was sure that the entire world would see her catch her heel in the hem or the train and rip the entire bottom half off, or fall flat on her face pulling the President with her.
The glitches in the reciting of the Oath was a refreshing reminder that he is human. Yeah, I know it was the other guys' fault for confusing the matter at hand, but it's proof that even something so orchestrated to every last detail could still end up wrong! I heard on the news tonight that he re-did the Oath so that there would absolutely be no question. Phew! Really people, anyone that puts himself and his family through the trials and tribulations of campaigning would certainly never say ... "never mind, I've changed my mind"!
The girls are adorable and a real spark of life for that stuffy old White House they have/get to live in. I pray that they can grow in the next phase of their lives without being damaged by the prying eyes of the media.
I noticed when Obama signed those first documents, that HE'S LEFT-HANDED! Egads! The challenges that will bring to the "special event" planners. Trust me, I know! I live in a household where 1/2 of us are lefties, and we have many "special events". Make sure the lefty sits at a place at the table where he will not fight for elbow space with a righty - perhaps at the head of the table (which will be likely for the President) or on a corner. Are the steak knives at the White House double-sided? If not, this will pose great problems when cutting steak. Pouring water into the Mr. Coffee will also be problematic, just ask Abbi. It will also likely change which side of the Presidential Desk the phone will sit. On and on ... you can see the dilemas quickly stacking up.
In spite of all the slander and abuse hurled between the dems and reps, it was a classy act to see Bush and Obama side by side as they walked to the helicopter. The Past Presidents club is a small one and they are the only ones who know what the journey ahead will feel like ... the joys, the stresses, the frustrations.
Our new President has certainly given us a whole new language to have fun with. I have enjoyed different slang and made up words that I have seen and heard .... Obamanation, Obamaphobia.
So did I vote, you might be wondering. Yes, I did. I tried my best to become engaged in the process. I did some background checks with the local police and did some various propoganda reading, like People Magazine. I also swallowed my pride when I held up the line at the polls while the pollsters had to learn how to work the "handicapped" voting booth. Let me explain ... I was 4 days post-op on my right elbow and could not even touch a tissue, much less grip a pencil. I also am not one our lefties, and couldn't even find my nose with my left hand to pick it if I had to, much less zero in on those little circles on the voting page. So I needed to succumb myself to the technology of computerized voting. Oh how I longed for a ballot with a "chad"! Did I want to vote? Not really, simply because I doubt myself in really giving the process justice. But I did my part. A more important reason for me, was that I went with my 21 yr. old to vote. My hope is that my children will be more encouraged and inspired to be involved than what I was or am.
I am so thankful to live in a free America. Where I can sit here and blog about un-important and very important issues, and not fear imprisonment or death. Where I have the freedom to vote or not to vote, and to know that if I do vote it is counted and important. It is a country where I can decide if the death of 1,000's of unborn babies is more or less important than the death of 1,000's of innocent war victims, and then make my little voice heard at election time. I can enjoy the freedom of worship at the church of my choice, and not risk the lives of those I love because of my choice.
We have all certainly witnessed history, but can one man really make a difference? I doubt it ... it's everyone on Capitol Hill! I'm inviting all my blogging friends to commit the next four years to prayer, regardless of where you stand ... red or blue, right or left. The next week, month, year, decade will soon be history to our children and our children's children. Your prayers can help write the history books!
Until the next Presidential Election ... my prayers are with you President Obama, your lovely wife, and your beautiful girls!
8 comments:
Well-written, well-stated and full of wisdom.
mom!
i said the same EXACT thing about the oath of office slip up.
He IS human! I loved it. : )
great post.
thanks for the humor Cindy! It was certainly a historical day!
Very well put, Cindy. Your dad and mine were cut from the same cloth it would seem. Although I THINK he might have voted this time around.
The most important part of your writing was about the left-handedness! I have been trying for years to get my wife to understand how awkward things can be. It took my brother getting me a left-handed knife for her to see how weird it is to be different.
Peace
Larry Guengerich
Cindy- you continue to inspire and amaze me through your blog- almost to the point that I think I may want my own-NOT! Thank you for these words. The most refreshing thing for me is that it doesn't matter who is in The White House as long as GOD is still GOD!
I voted Republican and I appreciated your candor and the reminder to pray instead of fear.
You forgot to say who you voted for.????? :)
And I do have to say the day you went to vote you did like quite beautiful with what you chose to wear that day. tee hee.
(Remember I got you dressed to go and vote?)
I think it's pretty special Alli encouraged you to vote, and you went together. :)
Aren't you posting about Pinecraft today or anytime soon?
Post a Comment