On Thursday, Oct. 30 I had tendon repair surgery on my right elbow, and in a short 2 hours I became a Lefty. Now please understand that I have it better than most switching people. I have now become ONE OF MY OWN! In other words I finally belong! Dave, Abbi, and Kevin are all Lefties, and with my 2 older Righties away at college, I had become the only right-minded-person around this place. So now we are all reveling in the notion that we can all do things the same because of our likeness. Little do the others realize what a true handicap I'm living with. About the only benefit I can think of at the moment is that it doesn't matter where we sit around a table. No more do I have to fight for a seat on an end, so that I don't have to do elbow battles while eating dinner.
Here's some thought-provoking questions for all you one-handed single-minded people.
~ How do you open sweetner packets with one hand?
~ How do you brush your teeth with your non-dominant hand?
~ How do you roll over in bed (or out of bed) with only one arm?
~ How long would it take you to do a post with one hand?
My surgery re-cap is this ... the tendon repair was sucessful with a titanium screw holding it all in place on my elbow bone, the cyst removal from my wrist was a sucess, and I'm alive in spite of my breathing stopping two different times during surgery. According to the anesthesiologist, he had a difficult time getting me to sleep. He had tried three different tubes, and my vocal cords clamped down on each one refusing them. I'm assuming those are the times when I stopped breathing. I'm also quite sure this is why I have a monstrous sore throat and neck/back pain. I hate to even think of what happens to a person when these types of situations arise.
My right arm is in a 1/2 cast for 10 days until I see the Doctor and he takes the stitches out. He said at that point he would decide how soon I start therapy. The 1/2 cast really limits my movement, but I truly am glad for that. I literally can't touch anything with my right fingers without pain shooting into my elbow. No kleenex (wiping noses and other body parts), no using pens or pencils, no speedy typing on my laptop (this entire post was done with my left index finger hitting letters and my left thumb hitting the space bar), no opening pill bottles (they're all sitting open on the counter), and I confess I've even had to use my left hand to wipe away some tears. Yesterday was that day. It was a pretty rough day!
But today is a new day, and things are feeling much better, both physically and emotionally. I am excited for my hubby to bring mashed potatoes home from a Thanksgiving Dinner at church. I am happy for Alli who gets to go to the Colts game with her boyfriend for her birthday. Soon I hope I will get to see my smiling Mitch for a few minutes (don't get to see near enough of him). And I also hope Dave will take me for a drive up to the lake today - just to get out of the house and a quick Diet Coke stop!
I have many things to be thankful for ...
A Sunday School Class who will be feeding us for several weeks.
A wonderful younger friend who will come each morning to help get the kids to school, then stay to do laundry or whatever, for as long as I need her.
My wonderful sister "nurse Julie",who stops in often to check on me, puts ice packs on my neck, props up my arm, calls the pharmacist to see what drugs I can take, ect...
My amazing husband who just loves me regardless! He's learning how I like to have the kitchen tidied up in just the right way. (Are any of you other women that picky about your kitchen counter?)
More of my loving family (Mom and others) who will be home from Australia & New Zealand on Tuesday, finally! I'm praying for safe travels for all of you! Can't wait to see you!
All of my Blogging friends who have asked and who care ... keep praying for a speedy healing!
So here's my place on the sofa, watching the world go by ... at least my windows are clean!
ARE YOU SURE RIGHT IS RIGHT?
I'm leaving you with more random pics of recent happenings ....
The next two pictures are of my wonderful neice and her awesome little family! Thanks for trick or treating at our place. I hope you let Cooper have some of that candy I put in his bucket.
My friend's son borrowed Uno and the Hot Dog costume, and the Burger hat to go trick or treating! It didn't last long ... Uno was not impressed!
October 31, Alli's 21st birthday! Here's the adult enjoying her birthday dinner with her boyfriend, Kyle. We went to my Amish friends' home, and she cooked Mitch's 4-H chickens, mashed potatoes, noodles, corn, on and on .... There were a total of 20 college kids, and Dave & I and Abbi. It was wonderful. because I didn't have to do a thing, and Alli loved it!
Alli opening her presents from Abbi. A necklace from TTV and a vb jacket.
6 comments:
Cindy I am so sorry you have gone left on us....:) Hopefully you will recover very quickly! I keep putting off a knee repair job because I don't want all the laid up stuff! Maybe when it no longer functions I will be forced to!
Get well soon! Rose
Doesn't Florida feel so long ago?
We can hardly wait to get home too and then maybe we can dote on you a bit! Hang on cause Mommy will be home soon!!!!
I'm glad you're feeling better and your arm will be better too....almost like brand new! Getting old sucks!
Cindy, I am commenting under mom's name. Thanks for being a grandma for Jadyn! And I hope all is well with your arm. Grandma said to say she hopes you are getting better too. I don't want to say that my kids love you like a grandma because that makes you sound old, but they love you tons and tons. Love ya! Kim
Cindy....I can NOT believe you typed that whole post with your left hand. It must have taken A LONG TIME!!! I guess you got time right now. I hope you see good improvement every day. I've got a little surprise baking in the oven right now for you....I'll bring it to you tomorrow. :)
I know! imagine that!Malaina was like"who was that?" I said, "oh just an old bloggy friend:)"
I'm glad you could get out and get pampered a bit! You deserve it!
My son is a leftie... comes in handy when it comes baseball time...
Post a Comment