Tuesday, May 20, 2008

And I Got It For A Buck ...

I am sooo excited about the junk table that I bought at a garage sale recently! I'd been on the hunt, well ok only 2 antique stores and a few shops in Shipshe doesn't quite qualify for "hunting". I have a great aversion to garage sales and I'm not quite sure why. I don't have any horrific childhood memories of them or any ghosts in the closet either. I just am never lucky enough to find anything that I feel is worth the time and effort. OK, confession time here ... starting to "garage sale" at 10:00am or 11, probably doesn't really help my chances of getting the GREAT FIND! I'm beginning to comprehend that there are some people in my neck of the woods who drag (yes, drag) their kids into vehicles at 7:00 or 7:30 and begin the hunt ... even going so far as packing those poor sleepy eyed kids a breakfast to eat on the way. Who Knew????

So anyway, here is my great find! I failed to take a before picture, which I wish I had done. It had a lovely gold-speckled laminate top - think back to your Grandma's kitchen table. If you look closely you can see the beautiful edge. This picture is with one coat of Kilz, which is at the point that I thought about blogging about my great find. The helpful people at Varns & Hoover suggested I sand the top before painting. I tried hard not to laugh, as I said, "I only paid a buck for the table! If it doesn't turn out, I'll just throw it in our burn pit!" So I thought the Kilz was even a little "over the top". (hee hee no pun intended!)




These are the lovely plants waiting to sit atop my finished masterpiece ...


Ta Dah! I wanted to leave the lovely edge exposed just for memory's sake, and the flowers are simply a circle sponge dipped in the appropriate colors.


... and completely finished. The plants on the table are cilantro (which I love for black bean and corn dip), lemon something-or-other (for smell), and pansies (for color).



Here it will sit on my patio, right beside the grill where we can use the table space for all of our grilling paraphanalia, as needed. Or just for extra table space when we have company - like graduation open house! And to think ... I Got It For A Buck!

And to the person that I "stole" this beauty from ... when you come to the pool this summer, I will place my lovely glass lemonade dispenser on top of this gem, and serve you the best tasting lemonade you've ever had! I won't hold the fact that you drag your kids out of bed to get the bargains, against you ... I love you anyway! You Go Girl!!!


Finally, I want to add a few pictures that truly say the "Spring is in the Air" and "Summer is Right Around the Corner"!

My strong and handsome husband is loading the pool cover, as he says "and we have a pool because....??????" To which I reply, "so we can swim and you can complain about opening it!" I have helped uncover this pool tooooo many years to take his complaining lightly! The cover weighs as much as a small 747, without fuel of course.


A special treat one evening last week ... Uncle Derald showed up with his Harley and offered rides to anyone brave enough. Abbi loved it!
.... and so did Grandma! She had just picked a beautiful bunch of lilacs, and after I helped her swing her leg over the seat she was ready to go! Does anyone else think of the movie Wild Hogs when you look at this picture??? Or is it just me?

Happy Spring ... Wonderful Summer ... to all my friends and family!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Priceless is all I can say!

Anonymous said...

I think you're proud! as you should be! It's so cute! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Way to go on the table Cindy. You did a great job. I always wanted to do some kind of painting to it....but alas 4 children.

And thank you Dave for your labor of love on behalf of all of us that will be using your pool this summer. WE greatly appreciate it! :)