Saturday, November 17, 2007

Life with almost grownups!

A glimpse of what happens when your kids begin to grow up.

Thursday night, late because Mitch had to finish something on his truck, Dave & him left for his first official college visit. And this happened only because we forced the issue. Mitch is thinking he has at least until next August to visit and decide on a college! Anyway, they headed south to Vincennes to check out the "college of choice" on Mitch's very short list. Vincennes is the university where Mitch received a one-year paid scholarship, because of his first place finish at the state level, at Skills USA last spring. He competed in a Small Engine Technology contest. So ... anyway, off they went, about a 5 hour drive. Spent several hours on campus, and then had to hurry back home so Mitch could go to bed early. Yeah right! Remember he's 17! He said he needed to sleep so he wouldn't fall asleep in his tree stand this morning. Don't all of you know that today was a Deer Hunter's Holiday???? It is the opening day of shotgun season! WooHoo! I'm really not sure what time he went to bed, but it wasn't before midnight, thanks to the company of Tucker and making food, banging pots and pans in my kitchen! He was up bright and early at 6:00am to hit the tree stand. I texted him (the only way to communicate with him) about 10:00am and asked if he was OK. His reply - "No, I'm dead"! I know I've got to quit worrying so much. So what if he's all alone in a big woods with a huge powerful shotgun. Why should I worry, I put him in God's hands many years ago! Today he didn't get anything, but there's still many weeks left! Tonight, as Mitch was leaving for a rodeo, he asked/told me he's going to ride a bull! I, as any loving Mother would do, hit the roof! He laughed and told me he couldn't anyway, since he's not 18 yet. So, I've only got until February to NOT worry about bull riding!

Then our other adult, Alli, came to our house tonight with her wonderful friend, Kyle. (see, I said I'd use your name) We had promised her a double date to Olive Garden for her birthday, which was on October 31. Olive Garden is her favorite spot! So off we went, and her wonderful roomie, Jocelyn, stayed with Kevin & Abbi. There is something so rewarding, when as parents you can sit and have adult conversation that has meaning, with your very own child. Yes, I remember the days when we couldn't even "reason" with her ... but that was a long time ago! We actually reminisced about the dreaded wooden spoon. And Alli told Dad about the time that her and Mitch took the spoon to the fire pit and burned it! I knew about this, but obviously Dad didn't. We had a good laugh about that one. When we got home, Abbi & Jocelyn had made brownies and had Abbi's bunnies in the house and were just having a great time!

So that was life for our Big kids this week. Oh and I almost forgot ... ND won! wow!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness Cindy....How can your kids be that old already? Somedays seem so hard with toddlers/babies, but then I realize that I still have them nicely tucked under my little thumb. (after reading about kids who can wipe their own bottoms, tie their own shoes, and date???????????? etc...)

Thanks for the view into what my life might be like in 13 years...........

Alli said...

first,
a wonderful friend? Ha. I don't know if he'll appreciate that label. But it is TRUE. : )

Second,
When was did you ever have to "reason" with me? I was the perfect child right....

third,
I love mitchell's text message response. haha.

Unknown said...

So what is the label Allison Jae? wonderful friend, lover, boyfriend, or fiancee'? Or all of the above. Because seriously I lost track of you. Love, me

Cindy said...

Heather responded exactly how I was going to ... Thanks Heather! Mom's get into trouble when we "label"! :)
And, Yes Alli, you were perfect!

Kim said...

I too love Mitchell's reply. That is so Mitchell! And I remember babysitting for Alli. Reasoning came along with the territory! Jadyn reminded me last week that she only has 8 more years until she is driving...YIKES!