Sunday, November 28, 2010

Nicaragua - Post #1

Recently Alli & I spent an amazing 5 days traveling in Nicaragua. This was Alli's second return visit since she had lived there for 3 months in 2008. I was excited to be her tag-along and see for myself everything that had captured her heart when she lived there. She had stayed with two different families in two different villages. In 2008 these two families accepted and loved her as one of their own. The purpose of our visit was to attend the wedding of one of her "sisters". (when Alli speaks of these families, she refers to them by Mom, Dad, brothers, sisters, so I will use the same)

There are so many memories and stories to share ...

After arriving at the Managua Airport we were met by Alli's Dad and sister (bride-to-be). We threw our luggage into the back of the pick up truck and headed out of the bustling city. I was speechless as I watched out the window at all the activity going on around me. Or maybe I was speechless because the conversation was in Spanish and I am only bi-lingual in Pennsylvania Dutch!





On the way to their village we stopped at this wonderful roadside restaurant for a late lunch. This was when I first realized that I would be totally dependent on my daughter for any survival-type conversation ... like eating, lodging, transportation, and Diet Coke!


The second day we had planned on traveling by shuttle van -- bus -- taxi to spend a night and day visiting the second family. The first family made arrangements for a friend of the family to drive us to the Managua bus station in order to avoid numerous transfers that would need to be made. I knew then that this family was concerned for our well-being.



On the way to Managua we passed many pineapple fields and roadside stands selling fresh-picked pineapple. (my favorite fruit of all time!) The family friend stopped at this cool fruit stand and asked the owner if he would cut up one of the pineapples that we had stopped and purchased a few miles back. The owner gladly cut up a plate full of this delicious fresh fruit, and then went on to prepare these coconuts for us to drink the milk right out of the coconut.





The village lies in a valley surrounded on all sides by mountains.



Alli with her sisters and little brother.

As a gift we took them a puzzle. When we dumped out the pieces they were astonished that all those pieces would make the picture on the front of the box. We worked long & hard on that puzzle and finished it in about an hour. The little guy by the table was a neighbor boy that was intrigued by all the noise going on in the house, so he was invited in to help.



Jose' entertained us for at least an hour playing piano and singing ... wow, could he sing!!! He also danced and danced and danced. Two things that he loves to do! Jose' has Down's Syndrome and attends the school that Alli worked at when she lived here. Jose' is the most wonderful guy ever, and I fell in love with him & his sense of humor.
I then entertained them with Cum-bay-ah. I couldn't understand their accolades but I think they were impressed, or maybe they were saying they wish I would just go to bed.



Here is Dad sitting inside the little gate/door taking orders from people that stop by the Pulperia (store) that they have in their home. They have EVERYTHING! Even firewood! I asked what their hours are (or rather, I had Alli ask) and he said 7 in the morning until 9 at night. This is pretty much what keeps the family busy and entertained all day long.


Leaving the home to walk around downtown. This is the street that leads to their place.

The park downtown.


Ready for bed ... hearing the pigeons softly coo. They have nested on the metal roof above the bed. At sunrise, about 5:30, they start leaving and returning to their nest. The sound of pigeons on takeoff & landing sounds very much like rats skittering across a tin roof. Alli looked at me sleepily out of her eyes and assured me it was the pigeons. She slept here for 6 weeks and I wasn't about to argue with her. I figured she knew what she was talking about.

The whole family, except the big brother wasn't around for the picture, so we replaced him with the curious little neighbor boy.


Alli with her Mom. Loved the beans, rice, and warm tortillas that were made in this kitchen!

And then we were off to find a taxi to take us to the bus station for our return trip to Managua and then the first village again. But that's a story that will need to be on Post #2. Sneak Preview ... riding in a mini-van with 27 people! Stay tuned...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I just totally relived my SST experience.

Ashley Swartzendruber said...

AHH!!! I am so happy that you got to experience this! Totally wish I could have been there!