Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Making Vacation Memories


I remember as a child taking long, leisurely summer vacations with my Mom, Dad, and any siblings that still lived at home. Either my memory is more of a "dream" or perhaps it was just that when I was growing up, life wasn't as busy. Yeah, I'm sure that's it. We find it more and more difficult to squeeeeze any type of family time into our short and crazy summers. Our treasured times of sitting around the table for dinner ... all six of us, just laughing and sharing stories of the day ... are even few and far between.
Last weekend we managed to figure out a way to load all six of us into a vehicle along with six bicycles nicely stacked in a cargo trailer, and we headed north! How far north you might ask ... we didn't cross the bridge into the U.P., but we could see both the U.P. and the Mackinac Bridge clearly from where we relaxed and just spent some fun times together.





We had safely arrived on Mackinac Island! It's an quiet and peaceful place, with only horses, bicycles, and fudge. And beautiful tulips and lilacs in the spring. There is also a lot of history to be learned by touring the Fort and hearing stories of the British, French, and Indians. It is a fun place to hear a cannon Kaboom and bugles being Tootled. This little gem of an island is pretty much a family tradition. By "family tradition", I don't mean just our family. The tradition goes way back to my Dad and when I was little, and there are others in my family who enjoy getaways to this island. Way back in the old days my Dad had somehow made a "connection" with one of the main stable owners, supposedly with our close proximity to Shipshewana and horse auctions. This stable owner and my Dad worked together with several Jayco employees to build large "people hauling tour giving" horse drawn wagons to use on the island. We enjoy looking at the rear bumper of every large wagon to see how many still have the old "Jayco" logo plate firmly attached.

Main Street

Fudge-maker Showing Off


Our 8 mile ride around the island. Kevin wanted to detour through the airport. If you want to fly your private plane onto the island, you need to call for a taxi to take you to town when you land. You might have to wait a while for your horse-drawn taxi.

The long stairway climb to Arch Rock.







The Butterfly House was a MUST SEE on Abbi's list. We've been there too many times to count.


I am thankful for our fun family vacation, even if it was a short 2 days!

We made a lot of memories!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so cool that all your kids could go! Amazing since some summers one of them has been in different countries most of the time. I LOVE Mackinaw Island!!! We grew up going there too! Great pictures. What is the butterfly horse? And arch rock...Hmmm...lots I need to look up on our next trip!

Cindy said...

Butterfly HOUSE, Heather, not horse. :) It's a "greenhouse" where they raise thousands of butterflies. It's cool, you're kids would love it!

Anonymous said...

The lilacs were still beautiful! Mackinac Island is the best place in the world to vacation! It's good quality time together with family! Lots & lots of good memories our family has from that place and who knows...one of your kids could get married on the island!?!
I love your profile picture with your good-looking husband!!! You did real good, Cindy!!! I wonder how many times I've told you that?

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see a butterfly horse Heather! If you ever see one, would you let me know?!

RosyRose said...

Cindy....I Loved seeing Mackinaw again! You have great pics:)
Lovin the fudge guy...I am always VERY nice to them....maybe just one more sample then kind sir!