Abbi says they could see us from Outerspace! That idea really isn’t that far off! Do you believe in Otherworldly Beings? I’m not sure that I do, but I am waiting for some Martian to spot our place here on Amish Highway 35, and decide to drop in for a visit! Let’s just say that when the Space Shuttle embarks on it’s next mission, the astronauts will count their revolutions around the Earth by using our barn light as a marker.
I returned home last night after a few “Mom Personal Days”, and after several months of doing battle with our electrician over the satisfactory lighting option for the outside of our barn, he installed the latest solution while I was gone. And this is what greeted me when I got home.
I returned home last night after a few “Mom Personal Days”, and after several months of doing battle with our electrician over the satisfactory lighting option for the outside of our barn, he installed the latest solution while I was gone. And this is what greeted me when I got home.
Pictures don’t do it justice, I took them with and without flash, and I simply couldn’t capture the feeling that we’re on the main strip in Vegas! When my dear friend (who took some personal days with me) pulled into our driveway to drop me off, she commented something like “Wow! They could’ve just landed the plane here!” I’m not sure of the exact words, I was too busy being mortified, and quickly thinking how I could scale the wall of the barn and unplug that offending light. The saga of the barn light began when our absolutely perfect lighting structure gave out, and we had to pick out something else. Something that the government said was more eco-friendly, in other words they don’t make our old kind anymore. We waited while the electrician healed from a broken heel, then up went one light … much too dim! All we could see were the moths that were flying within 3 feet of the bulb. We wanted to be able to see when cars came and went, not that that happens much at our place. :) In the meantime the electrician broke his leg again (no joke), but in a couple of weeks he was able to come back and take that one down, and put up this new high-tech one. What I wouldn’t give to just be able to see the moths again!
I am sure that our electricity-less (Amish) neighbors in the surrounding ½ mile are very grateful for the security lighting that we are providing them, free of charge! Or they’re grumbling that if they wanted to live in a place where the sun really never sets, they would’ve moved to Alaska!
As I was doing my Mary Poppins sweep of the home late last night (remember I had been absent for 7 days), I felt a sense of embarrassment. I really don’t have a desire to SHOWCASE our home. Then I pulled up my boot straps (or apron strings in my case) and decided I would just have to look for the humor in this. So looking for any humor I could find, I tiptoed into the bedroom to check on my snoring husband, and I’m pretty sure it appears that his ears are beginning to show signs of pointedness. I thought I married a Water Doctor, did someone say Dr. Spock? Any day now, Star Trek will hover, and my Pointy-Eared Husband will go to the great spaceship in the sky. I am also going to hide all the Reese’s Pieces, just in case E.T. decides to pay us a visit. I don’t need any more long-term guests in my house!
So if y’all live close by and want some free entertainment, go ahead and drive by after dark (that’d be after about 6:30 - had to tell you what time, because you won’t know its dark when you drive by). Go ahead and honk your horn, it will make me feel better knowing that I’m sharing with others!
Don’t wait too long … the electricians’ boom truck is now broken (no joke) and as soon as it is out of the mechanic’s garage, he’s going to come over at night and “adjust” the light.
BEAM ME UP SCOTTY!
6 comments:
Yes, thank you for that. Jadyn no longer needs a night light! ;)
Cindy- I am laughing so hard right now! I haven't laughed this hard since the Hawkins party and the whole "what did Shawn do..." statement! I can't wait to drive by and check out the light- ooh- wait- I can see it from Jefferson Township! :-)
funny you said something about alaska. cause when i got home and say the light for the first time i think i said something to myself like. did i drive all the way to alaska?
mitch
Jen .... was good to see you yesterday! Lunch soon??? I'm working on a new post for you. :)
Are you getting any sleep or are the bright country lights keeping you up?
You forgot to fill us on what you did for 7 days??? Please do tell. :)
I am counting the days until my phone rings and I hear your lovely voice say, "Lunch today?"! It was great seeing you & Abby as well.
Well...I didn't want to tell you this, but the bright lights are the reason I had to rearrange my bedroom furniture- LOL!!!! :0)
New blog- soon- please- feeling weak from now having your wit and wisdom!
Post a Comment