Sunday, August 24, 2008

The week that was ... thank goodness!

Last week is behind me, and life is soon to become like a well-orchestrated Olympic Closing Ceremony. Or something close to that anyway!

I began the week with a sense of anticipation, truly excited about everything that would be happening. It's just too bad that exhaustion soon took over my body, and by Thursday I went through the motions in a stupor.

Exactly one week ago, volleyball overtook our home with a vengeance! We welcomed two college volleyball players into our home for one week. Local GC players hosted players who traveled from a distance. They enjoyed day-long practices and conditioning all week. Wednesday night I provided a cook-out at the lake for the team. All 12 players spent the night at the cabin and then met me at the Essenhaus for breakfast buffet. Had to introduce some of them to good ol' amish cooking! :) In the meantime, I began middle school volleyball practice on Monday. So each day I attempt to capture the attention of 10 middle school, high energy girls, and teach them the finer points of the awesome sport of volleyball!

Friday evening Alli invited about 20 kids to our house for a cookout. She did a great job of taking care of almost everything for the evening. I only had to help her put out a wonderful little grease fire on the grill! A few singed arm hairs later, and the burgers were well-done! All evening I waged an inner-battle ... do those two bushel of apples sitting in my garage, or find some quiet day next week to complete the task? To do or not to do, that was the question! Finally at 8:00pm, I carried those apples inside and started to make applesauce. By 12:30am I was putting the last clean dish away, and was looking through my tired eyes at 36 qt. of the best applesauce I think I've ever made! Last year my Aunt Lydia Ann told me I should try Ginger Gold. What a great piece of advice! It is so thick and a pretty color (much prettier than the pic shows)!


Of course my good friend that moved to Iowa called and was coming into town for a wedding, and said she could squeeze me in for a 7:00am breakfast on Saturday! I couldn't pass up this chance to catch up with her, so after a long 5 hours of sleep I drug my rear out of bed and headed to town! Thank goodness she's a good friend and doesn't really care what I look like or how many cups of coffee I drink! After a short morning nap, I headed outside to give some attention to my poor neglected flower beds and garden, mowed the lawn, and then "crabbed" at my hubby when he got home later in the afternoon. You know ... "where have you been all day????" He is such a loving a patient man! He scampered away with the two youngest and several of their friends to spend the evening at the lake tubing and having fun! Awwww, some nice quiet moments for this woman!



And on to Sunday, the day of rest, thus saith the Lord! Another cookout/swimming party for the college volleyball team, at our house. Followed in the evening with an impromptu popcorn party for 10 of Alli's friends. During all of this chaos, we were attempting to help Mitch pack his big red truck, Clifford, for his long-distance move to college. No need to hurry on this one, classes don't start 'til Monday morning. And sometime he'll need to pay a visit to the bookstore for his books. I say textbooks are overrated, just listen to lectures! Also on this blessed Lord's day, Alli wanted her college comforter washed and hung on the line in preparation for moving the next day. Do you think our Amish neighborhood will ever be the same again?





Did I mention that for the last two weeks I have been staying up into the weeee hours of the morning watching the Olympics? Why do they always save the best events and finals for after 11:00pm? Last night I celebrated the closing ceremonies! I twirled and cartwheeled my old and tired body, because I figured that I would finally be able to go to bed at 11:00! But you'll never believe what I found after the 11 o'clock news ... a Special Edition Olympic highlight show. Here's the punch line ... it was sponsored by Ambien! Huh??? (for those of you who don't know, Ambien is a drug for people who can't sleep) I say forget the Ambien, just quit showing anything to do with Olympics already!!! And I'll sleep just fine!



Today I'm busy helping the last of our college students move back to school. Our two volleyball guests left this morning, and Alli & I are loading our vehicles as I post. I will drop her stuff off on the way to my first volleyball game.




Those of you with the busy life of small people ... Hang On Tight!!! It only gets more exciting! But you know what? I wouldn't trade my life for anything! Everyone is healthy and happy, most of the time. Oh yeah, the healthy part ... on Friday I found out I will have elbow surgery later this fall. Maybe that's how I'll finally capture my rest!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Well thank goodness! I thought you dropped off the face of the earth! :)

Anonymous said...

I think I checked your blog everyday and finally you updated! yeah!
No wonder I haven't seen you all summer.....well, almost all summer! I miss not seeing you! I'm glad you got the kids moved and can finally get back to a halfway normal schedule!
Is Kevin in soccer practice? What has Abi been doing with her little tall self?
I wish you would have time this week to entertain me with your company here at the lake while I'm here by my lonesome.

Unknown said...

I missed you too Cindy while you've been busy. And why didn't you call Kim and I to come and help with sauce?? It would've been perfect timing...the kids could've stayed home with their daddy's and we could've come over and helped you.

Where is Mitch going to school?

Do you miss Kim and I at your pool??