Thursday, July 16, 2009

Ready and Waiting

It's that time of year again! It's time for the Elkhart County 4-H Fair!

Abbi & Kevin's chickens had their luxurious bubble baths today!



Abbi & Kevin are ready and waiting, happily I might add, for Aunt Julie to show up with her expertise! The chickens in the pen are considered "fancies". These are egg-layers and Abbi will be showing the three pictured here - a Sussex pullet, and a Hamburg cockerel & pullet. I really don't mind these birds. They're clean and pretty to look at. Fancies are not auctioned at the end of the fair. We will bring them home and soon they will be laying us farm-fresh eggs, along with the 6 others that we have in our chicken coop.





Kevin's picking away at the bottom end to make sure it's all clean! And he's loving every minute of it! NOT! These white chickens are the meat pens (roasters and broilers). They will be judged on their size and of course, cleanliness! Both kids will be showing two broilers and one roaster - that is considered a "meat pen". I've already got processing scheduled for the Tuesday following the fair. :) I used to say "butchering" until I was corrected by a fellow Poultry Club member. I guess that is the same as saying "murdering"?




Abbi carefully washing one of her fancies.




Here's the crew. I'm holding a clean fancy all wrapped up in a fluffly towel. OK, it's actually a towel from my rag drawer, but the chicken seemed comfy anyway!





And of course we always have an audience! Usually there's a crowd but today it was just Grandma and Uno. Our other puppy Dos was safely locked in the garage. We just didn't quite trust him around such meaty animals.





Abbi is also showing a bunny rabbit. It is a Lionhead, and has a mane of fur around it's head ... just like a lion. Her friend Katie also has a Lionhead that will be at the fair.
So be sure and visit us and our fowl & hare at the fairgrounds.
Sing along with me ... "come to the Elkhart County Four H Fair"!

4 comments:

Kim said...

I love your "professional" bunny pics by the way! Especially the snowboarding one! Have fun at the fair!

Anonymous said...

I'm singing the tune in my head!!!!!!!
It looks like the kiddos were having fun with the washing! Good Aunt Julie for helping & fattening up those meaty chickens!
Good Luck at the fair Abbi & Kevin!

Amber said...

How fun! I can't wait to show Cooper his cousin's animals!!!

Unknown said...

SO funny...I never knew that you give chickens baths!!! How fun to have your own farm fresh eggs! We used to have chickens when we lived at the B&B. I loved walking out to the coop to get my own eggs until they would chase me...that part wasn't so fun. But I'm sure since you've given them baths and the royal treatment...your chickens will never chase you or misbehave.