Here are some pictures of her last evening at home. Her belongings from the college totally exploded in her room upstairs, with spill-over into Abbi's room (Alli's old room), as she began to sort into piles what she wanted to pack.
"How much does this suitcase have to weigh??? Guess I'll need to take some heavy books, and several pairs of flip-flops out, and take a duffel."
So my Wednesday morning started at 6:00am. Since I ended up sleeping with one eye open, so I wouldn't oversleep, I pulled myself off the couch at 5:45am to begin waking our sleepy household to get ready for the big send-off. And I do mean BIG! I have never been a part of an SST send-off, but I believe it must be bigger than college graduation itself at GC. Many people, many tears, much anticipation and excitement. By the way, for the curious, SST stands for Study Service Term. Basically a semester of foreign study and service.
After all the good-byes were said, Abbi & I left with Alli's car and made a quick stop at McDonald's for breakfast and then after drying both of our tears I dropped Abbi off at school. The "men" in the family went to Waterford Mill Inn for breakfast before the school-men had to be at Bethany.
Adios my precious child!
After dropping Abbi off I headed to Village Inn, where I was sure I could find my Mom for a little "Mommy-loving". How strange that at this stage in my life as a Mom, I still need and find comfort in the arms of my own Mom. Life is Precious!
So back to my original question ... "How do you....?" You place her safely in the arms of God!
You can follow Alli's travels by linking to her blog listed at right, and also GC does a wonderful job of posting on their SST website: http://www.goshen.edu/sst/nica08/
5 comments:
You're exactly right Cindy...you have to place them in God's hands, because he is everywhere and we are not! We only have them for a very short time and then they are on their own to live out all the good that we've tried so hard to instill in them! The decisions they make are theirs alone - good or bad - they need to be able to fly.....I'm sure you cried when Willy got married didn't you? But, we moved in your yard so you could see us all the time!
You know how short our summer always is....well, Ali will be home in no time flat! She will be home soon after the fair and that will be here soon! Tell Abi to think of it in that way and maybe the time will go faster! I was thinking of you all this morning! It will be okay!
I am sure it was so hard to say goodbye to your little girl. You gave her the freedom she needs though. She will always be thankful for that. You're a wonderful mom with wonderful kids! Miss ya.
Jillian
You and Dave raised a very smart and brave young lady! She is going to have a great time on SST! And by the way, we may be out of our house soon, can we move in your yard too? :)
You know what Cindy... one of the best things Mom & Dad did for me growing up was let me go and explore the world for myself... even if I was 16 and wanted to go to the other side of the globe! Those are experiences in my life that helped me grow and change in ways I couldn't have done with the help of my family... or in Middlebury!! I'm proud of little Ms. Alli and cannot WAIT to hear about everything she's going to be doing!!!
Cindy, that's the saddest post ever. I can't imagine letting go...as in letting the little girl leave the country. Sad. Sad. Sad.
But like Sarah said, Before you know it the summer will be here and gone....Kim and I will be over every day at your pool and we will make the time just fly. :O) We will keep you busy ordering smoothies and hamburgers on the grill. Just think how busy we could keep you. :)
Post a Comment